Friday 26 December 2014

Asia marks 10th anniversary of tsunami

Asia marks 10th anniversary of tsunami

People across Southeast Asia gathered along the shores of the Indian Ocean on Friday to mark the 10th anniversary of the devastating tsunami of 2004.
One of the deadliest natural disasters in modern history, it killed 230,000 people and displaced millions in 12 countries.
Services were held to remember the dead in countries including Indonesia, Thailand, India and Sri Lanka. Moments of silence were planned in several locations to mark the exact time the tsunami hit.
"I cannot forget the smell of the air, the water at that time … even after 10 years," Teuku Ahmad Salman said at a prayer service attended by thousands of people in Banda Aceh, Indonesia.
Sobbing, the 51-year-old said: "I cannot forget how I lost hold of my wife, my kids, my house."
He said he refused to believe for years that his family had died, but eventually gave up looking for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment